Having a home built from the ground up can be both a substantial financial commitment and an exciting adventure for you and your family. While it’s fun to choose the flooring, kitchen backsplash tiles, paint colors, and new bedspreads for everyone’s room, it can also quickly become overwhelming. What type of questions to ask a home builder before, during, and after construction?
Asking the Home Builder the Right Questions
Keeping the process under control, first, be sure to ask the right questions before selecting a builder and choosing your floor plan. If you don’t, the fun can quickly turn into a nightmare. The most critical step in your new home building journey is to choose the best builder for your project. They will be responsible for every aspect of constructing your residence, so be sure to start on the right foot.
Choosing a builder can feel like a tremendous task for first-time homeowners. However, knowing what questions to ask a home builder, will give you valuable insight into the builder’s communication style, how they construct each house, and the steps involved in building your particular structure. That way, you’ll have the confidence to hire the right company in the greater Milwaukee area for the job.
To help you, here are some of the top questions to ask before signing a contract.
Essential Questions to Ask a Home Builder Before New Home Construction
First, get to know the builder and the staff on a personal level. You’ll be working with them for at least six months, so find out more about them. Ask questions like:
- Why did you become a home builder?
- How many years have you been in the home building industry? During that time, how many homes have you completed?
- What was the most challenging demand you got from a client? How did you handle it?
- What sets you apart from other building companies?
- Can you provide references from previous clients? May I contact them?
- Do you have a model my family can tour?
- Where do you usually build homes?
- Do you understand my vision of the ideal house for my family?
These questions are a great starting point. The answers will give you an idea of how compatible you are with the builder. Like any relationship, this one requires good communication, understanding, and trust.
Important Questions to Ask About the Home Building Process
Next, ask about how the business is run and what their process is. Does the home builder seem trustworthy? Do they have a good reputation? Find out the details regarding custom features, the variety of floor plans to choose from, and how long the construction process will take. Is there something special you want to add to your home? Discover if that can be part of the house plan before you sign on the dotted line. Ask questions like:
- Are you insured and licensed? Can you verify it?
- When will I know the final price of my home?
- What is your payment process?
- How “custom” are your custom homes? Can I start from scratch and design every aspect or only alter existing home plans?
- Can the basement be left unfinished and done later?
- What do your homes offer that I can’t get from other builders?
- What are the standard features included in your houses? What upgrades and options can I select? Do you have the full list of allowances and their amounts for my project?
- What energy-saving features can you offer?
- Do you offer a new home warranty? If so, what are the specifications?
- How long will it take to complete my house?
To answer the final question, in Wisconsin, the weather dictates everything. But when building a home less than 2,500 square feet, it should be completed within six months of breaking ground. If the project lasts through the winter, this could be extended up to eight months. If your home builder gives you a vague time frame, they may be a bit disorganized and someone you may not want to hire.
On the other hand, remember that the best home builders are often busy. It’s not unusual to have to wait a few months before they can begin your project.
More Specific Questions to Ask a Home Builder
If the answers you’ve gotten so far make you feel comfortable, that’s a positive sign. Now is the time to ask more specific questions and dig a little deeper. Questions such as:
- Who is in charge of my home’s construction? How responsive are they if I have questions? Can I meet them?
- What is your preferred method of communication – a phone call, text, or email?
- If I change my mind regarding a design plan or upgrade, can I make changes?
- How do you handle complications during construction? Will you take care of it immediately, or call to alert me and ask my opinion first?
- Am I able to see my house during construction? If so, should an appointment be set up?
- During and after construction, what is your inspection process?
- After construction is completed, how are issues addressed?
Make sure the builder is listening to your questions and giving honest, thoughtful answers.
Questions to Ask about Construction Practices
The following questions get to the heart of the building process. Asking them lets your builder know that you know what you’re talking about. Because this is a significant investment, you want to be sure your house lasts for a very long time. Don’t get stuck with a lemon!
- Are all your homes ENERGY STAR® Certified?
- What type of siding is used, and how is it installed?
- What kinds of roofing materials are used?
- How is the interior trim finished? Is it pre-finished or done on-site?
- Is the exterior wall cavity caulked?
- How is the basement waterproofed?
- Are your foundations cement block or poured concrete?
- What kind of insulation do you use?
Contact Jewell Homes
Whether you’re looking for a larger residence for a growing family, something warm and inviting for entertaining, or are downsizing after retiring, Jewell Homes can create what you need. When you decide to build your dream home, you want to hire one of the top-rated residential builders in Wisconsin. In the greater Milwaukee area, that’s Jewell Homes.
Because this business is family-owned, you’ll work directly with John and Jamie Jewell, the owners. John and Jamie can guide you throughout the process – from the first meeting until you’re all moved in. They will even make the process fun.
Contact Jewell Homes today and get excited about your future home!